Friday, January 3, 2014

The Merging of Two Diverse Worlds

          I was quite hesitant to read the book when I learned that it was a combination of my least two favorite subjects: Mathematics and Biology. I used (take note USED) to like Biology when I was still in high school but then I knew its true colors just last semester when I took Bio 10. I’m not sure if the reason why I suddenly disliked it was a teacher factor or just the subject itself. And since I’m not interested it, I flunked on that subject (sad). Though, I was hesitant, my curiosity overpowered me. I’m curious why the author, Ian Stewart, combined Biology and Mathematics when these two subjects are barely on speaking terms. So, I gave the book a try. After all, I’m not going to lose anything if I’m going to read it.
          In the book, Ian Stewart claimed that for the next century, the driving force behind Mathematics will be Biology. He also noted the five revolutions of Biology; (i) the microscope, (ii) the classification of the planet’s living creatures, (iii) evolution, (iv) genetics, (v) the structure of DNA and the sixth is on its way which is Mathematics. As I go along with the book, I learned that there are certain ways that Mathematics can be connected with Biology. The arrangement of the plant organs such as leaves, petals and so on follows the Fibonacci sequence. Also, the Knot theory was used in studying the strands of DNA. Abstract geometry was also mentioned which can be used tell us viruses in three dimensions. Stewart also stated the theory of pattern formation of Alan Turing’s paper “The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis” which helped us understand the markings on animals such as stripes and dapples. Neuroscience (study of the nervous system) was also mentioned which according to the book was “One of the first significant applications of mathematics to biology”.


          The first few chapters of the book was quite tricky and I was starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice in reading the book but with each successive page it ignited my interest. Though there were some parts of the book that I wasn't able to understand, I still enjoyed the book. Mathematics of Life is packed with information, written with Stewart's keen observations and will certainly please the dedicated Math readers and also for the fans of Biology.  

1 comment:

  1. I appreciated very much how you described the book and made it a point to still encourage others to read it inspite of its complexity :)

    ReplyDelete