Friday, March 21, 2014

A Cabinet of Mathematical Puzzles and Facts

From my past blog posts, I have always expressed my hatred towards math. I don’t even understand how other people find it fun. But after reading Ian Stewart’s “Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities”, I now understood that Math can actually be fun outside of the classroom. You get to learn more exciting things outside than inside the classroom. Oh, but this doesn’t mean that you should skip your classes and not listen to your math teacher.

Ian Stewart has spent his years collecting mathematical games, puzzles, stories and facts in his notebook. He collected so much that he even filled his cabinet. “Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities” are made of some of his collections.


I actually tried solving some of the puzzles and I had fun with them even if sometimes I get them wrong or I don’t understand them. The explanations and facts he wrote was also interesting. I like how it was explained why we “can’t” divide zero. If we had these on our class, I think I would be very fun and exciting. Ian Stewart actually succeeded in making us have fun. Overall this was probably the best book out of the five we had to write a review about. I would also probably recommend it to my family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment