Monday, March 3, 2014

Game Theory, Really?

*book review: Rock Paper Scissors: Game Theory in Everyday Life by Len Fisher

First hear on the title, sounds great. I must say the movie is light on math, heavy on fuzz. Game theory can be define as a mathematical science, dealing with this is not a relaxing affair. But mark an exception to the work of Len Fisher, which is truly for the general audience, and that includes myself.

The book was really a good piece in acquainting its readers to the 7 dilemmas and the matrix: prisoner’s dilemma, tragedy of the commons, the free rider problem, and chicken, volunteer’s dilemma, battle of the sexes, and stag hunt. From these dilemma, he connects game theory to everyday circumstances and presents answers to these problems come from 3 main approaches: changing attitude, benevolent authority and self-enforcing strategies.
           
       Fisher imparts many instances, examples of games, several of those based from his personal experiences. If somebody will ask me, “What makes the book a good read?” I’ll simply say, “It caught my attention.”  And it means something big. The book was a quite pleasingly casual on its attack of its discerning accounts of strategic notions. Fisher brought us on a cynical and enthralling circuit of one of the most earth-shattering sciences of our era.
          
        The 4th chapter of the book tickles me. It regards the game “rock paper, and scissors”, which I myself, considered it a mainstream game. Fisher was able to relate the game in real life conflict resolution, a brilliant association. The most critical part for me (I guess?) was the chapters 5-8. It circles about the picture of cooperation.
        
         If someone will ask me of which part I will recommend the most, I’ll probably answer the 50-pages long end notes. Sounds odd since the book is 250 pages long, it takes up 20% of the book’s content but it’s really informative.

Since I am at high of praising Fisher’s work, then let me mention some of my frustrations on the book. Take note, “MY FRUSTRATIONS”, if you’ll disagree with these then its fine, we have our own different disappointments.
         
          The book started so slow, it slightly discouraged me to continue. As I have mentioned earlier, Fisher cited a lot of his experiences which he relate on game theory but some of these examples were intuitive and far from being scientific (for me). I spotted a little logical thoughts on crucial matters where we can clearly relate game theory. The book fails to provide a substantial launch on game theory and still badly need acceptable elucidations on its accounts.  He was more of having the idea of game theory trivialize rather than explicating it. Well, Fisher is not a game theorist anyway but rather a chemist.

If you’ll searching for a book which will seriously make you think scientifically then this is not the book you will admiringly wanted to read. Just a friendly reminder.  ^_^

1 comment:

  1. Funny it is how game theories influence the current social situation.

    ReplyDelete